- Board Source – Comprehensive online resource based out of Washington, D.C.
- Board Gap Assessment Tool – An excel spreadsheet you can use to identify and track skills and experience of existing and prospective Board members. My design, but feel free to adapt to your unique organizational priorities.
- Top 10 Elements of an Effective Board – From an American consultant. Concise one-pager.
- Recruitment Matrix – Another way to go that helps with Gap Analysis in Board Succession Planning part of the Muttart Foundation Board – Development Workbooks
- 10 Ways to be an Awesome Board Member – 7 min video created by Alison Brewin Consulting.
- First Non-Profit – American with a series of great papers on Board roles and responsibilities.
- Leading With Intent – Briefs and Topic Papers on a range of Board responsibilities.
- Ten Steps for Building an Effective Nonprofit Board : A Checklist for Action
- Board Tune Up Kit – A great package of tools to help the whole process.
General Non-profit Resources
- Non Profit With Balls Blog – Overall right-on and humourous advice for non-profits
- Imagine Canada – Organizational support
- Legal Self Assessment tool for governance and organizational best practices for preventing legal issues (Canadian)
- Community Tool Box – Multiple tools for organizational well being and community engagement
- Five Good Ideas: Practical Strategies for Effective Non-Profits by the Maytree Foundation. Wonderful synopsis of strategies for non-profit health and well-being.
- Top Ten Uses for a Strategic Plan – Document from Alison Brewin Consulting
- 10 Ways to Use a Strategic Plan – 7 min video created by Alison Brewin.
- Strategic Planning That Makes a Difference (includes an awesome planning pyramid)
- Strategic Planning (Intro) Webinar from Charity Village
- Project Evaluation Guide for NonProfit Organizations: Fundamental Methods and Steps for Conducting Project Evaluation Fataneh Zarinpoush. Imagine Canada
- Logic Model Handbook United Way of Sun Valley
- Integrating Monitoring: A Practical Manual for Organizations that want to achieve results
- Evaluating Social Innovation by Hallie Preskill and Tanya Beers. Published by the Centre for Evaluation Innovation
- Splash and Ripple: A SMART Fund Guide to Using Outcomes to Design and Manage Community Health Activities Smart Fund, Vancouver Coastal Health.
Websites and webinars
- Better Evaluation – The starting point for all things evaluation.
- Participation Compass – Ways to engage people in dialogue and discussion about a topic, including evaluating a program or service.
- Prove and Improve – Designed for Social enterprise, but excellent tools for building monitoring and evaluation plans and processes and creating dashboards.
- Demonstrating Value – A local version of Prove and Improve, designed by the Vancity Community Foundation it was created to help social enterprises build dashboard reporting systems.
- “Best Little Logic Model” webinar – From Community Solutions
- American Evaluation Society
- Canadian Evaluation Society
- Better Evaluation
- Participation Compass
- Demonstrating Value
- Community Solutions – Local consultant, Kylie Hutchinson, does great webinars and is a great evaluator herself.
- Real Evaluation: Actionable Evaluation for the Real World
- Empowerment Evaluation Blog – by David Fetterman
- Center For What Works – Helpful for finding clear indicators and outcomes.
- Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity by Mario Morino.
- Measuring the Networked Non-Profit: Using Data to Change the World by Beth Kanter and Katie Paine